Friday, October 2, 2009

Reading Response Journal: Diary of a Young Girl


Sebastian Wu is a tall, young man with a boyish face. He always looks well-scrubbed, enthusiastic, happy, and eager to learn. An accountancy major in his final year, his genuine interest in children’s literature has been infectious.

During our first session, we had a simple acquaintance game in which Sebastian was the only one who was able to recite all 23 names of his classmates. They gladly voted for him as the Class Rep. And he has gladly and cheerfully performed his duties as the servant-leader of his classmates.

Here’s his reading response journal about Anne Frank’s Diary of a Young Girl.


Difficult Times:
A Test of Character

by Sebastian Wu

rhapsodyinbooks.wordpress.com

I. Introduction

It is in difficult times that a person grows stronger mentally and emotionally. This is really true. I do realize that this book is a war diary about how World War II had affected Anne Frank’s life.

Anne Frank was a thirteen-year old pretty little girl then and war caused her life to change drastically. In order to adapt to such extreme changes, she had to become stronger. She managed to do it and people around her grew stronger as well.

They learned how to care for and share with one another. Together they endured and showed many great qualities in their character during the war. This is very encouraging and interesting.

II. Body

This was my first attempt at reading a book about war. My knowledge about war had come mostly from history textbooks in secondary school, movies, and documentaries. Thus, this was a great experience for me getting to see, hear and feel the war just as if I was there during that time.

It was totally fascinating yet frustrating and sad as well. For war is never a good thing. The book stirred up my emotions and got me pondering about how things would be like if I were in Anne’s shoes. Sometimes I felt confused; sometimes I felt sad. But I really liked the vicarious experience that this book has provided me with.

Below is one of the entries that expressed my anger at discrimination.

A. 1st Entry

‘So the Germans are of a higher class compared to the Jews? How could the Jews be willing to bear this kind of insult and humiliation? I would have protested strongly if I were in their shoes.’
Analysis/comment

I can see that when I was doing the journal entry, I was very angry. I was angry because I felt that it is very unfair and that no one should be discriminated against like that.

Personally I do not have any relevant experience regarding this issue yet. But I have always believed that people should not let others determine their life.

As I look back, it seemed that I failed to fully appreciate the situation of the Jews during the Second World War. They were trapped. Any reckless action could put their loved ones in trouble. Should they be captured or killed, what would their loved ones do?

So I was wrong to ask them to protest against the oppressive treatment they endured. The only way they could have coped was to become very strong-willed and determined to survive the suffering.

But that was just discrimination, war itself was worse.

B. 2nd Entry

‘But yet I really cannot imagine myself in their shoes. The only quiet respite they had was when the war alarm would stop sounding and the planes would stop bombing and the people would stop shouting.

But when you have a quiet moment and you thought at last you get to have some moments of peace, the whole cycle would begin again. Living in such stressful and traumatizing environment, how could anyone be able to take it?

But how about those who have been caught and have been thrown into the concentration camps?’

Analysis/comment

The effects of war are indeed very dreadful. When I was making the comments, I was trying to imagine myself living in that time, having to hear war alarms, planes flying overhead and bombs detonating everywhere. It was totally chaotic.

I felt confused and scared when I thought of it. I would go crazy living such a stressful life. For you would not know when a bomb would drop on your roof. Trying to sleep while worrying about that would be totally insane.

Moreover, the war had destroyed the lifestyles of the people as well. All the artists, musicians, engineers and many more professionals were captured and thrown into the concentration camp where they were tortured and mistreated like animals. Such physical pain and mental torture were unimaginable. That’s why I really respect those who persevered and endured.

C. 3rd Entry
‘Who else can they depend on other than those who are staying right under the same roof? There were plenty of incidents that the Franks encountered problems with Mrs Van Daan, yet she is always willing to step in and offer a helping hand. So we can see that there’s always a good side in everyone.’
Analysis/comment

I really feel that when something bad happens, the people closest to you are always the people who will offer a helping hand. It is true that extreme conditions or difficult times cause people to become selfish and care only about themselves.

But we have to agree that there is always a good side to everyone. And war, perhaps not the most ideal situation, can bring out this goodness in people. It is very heart-warming to see how people are willing to care for and share with others when they do not even have enough for themselves.

III. Conclusion

We should give a round of applause to those people who have overcome difficult times and have emerged with stronger characters. They stood tall and strong against such odds. It is very admirable.

This book has taught me a lot about compassion, kindness, and strength of character. I will definitely share what I have learned with the people closest to me. Or perhaps, a stranger in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment